We have implemented quite a few S1000D applications over the past few years and this experience led to the creation of S1000D Architect. Many S1000D applications that are on the market today are focused on the storage of data modules via a CSDB. While this is very important, equally (or maybe evey more imporatant) is how the S1000D program is managed. What we mean by that is:
- How do you create data modules?
- How do you insure you’ve created all the data modules you need?
- How do you manage creating DMRLs and SNS structure?
- How do you manage the project(s) itself as well as the people assigned to the project?
We have addressed each of these critical issues within S1000D Architect. Request our whitepapers and, by all means, give us some feedback!
- Knowing how many data modules comprise your S1000D project(s).
- Knowing where these data modules are coming from (your team, vendors, etc.).
- Managing multiple SNS schemes (yours, your vendors)
- Managing vendors’ data modules
- Ability to efficiently build a list of all necessary data modules
- Tying this list to a ‘stub-out’ of the data modules themselves (i.e., create a rudimentary XML document for each and every data module in your project).
Look for posts, additions to our website, and email notifications in the coming weeks. We are excited about these applications and rolling them out to general availability. If you want a sneak peek, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
As I mentioned in our last blog, we are in the process of developing a new S1000D productivity Suite called CapStone™. CapStone represents what we are referring to as the “second generation” of S1000D applications. The first generation of tools were worried about storage and retrieval of documents. While storage and retrieval is indeed important, it is a fairly trivial challenge in the IT world. In order to make an S1000D environment truly robust and usable, additional features are required. CapStone will include the following individually available components:
- DecisionPoint™ – For Business Rules Management and BREX generation
- DMRL Manager
- SNS management
- Information code management
- DMC (Data Module Code) component management
- DMRL (Data Module Requirements List) management and generation
- Applicability Manager
- ACT, PCT, and CCT management
- Field updates
- Publication Manager
An interesting feature of CapStone is that it can sit on top of any existing S1000D CSDB, or database (Oracle, SQL, etc.). If you have a site license for Oracle and want to turn it into an S1000D CSDB…great! If you already have a first generation S1000D CSDB and need a more robust environment to make it work the way you need it, CapStone will fit the bill. In addition, we are building integrations to other “S” Standards, including:
We anticipate debuting CapStone™ S1000D Productivity Suite at the AIA-Joint Services Technical Publications workshop, May 12-13 in Clearwater, FL. We hope you will join us. We also plan on attending the S1000D User Forum, June 6-8 in Montreal, CA. Of course, if you want a preview before then or are interested in becoming one of the first customers, contact us and we will make it happen!
Concurrent with the Joint Services S1000D Workshop being held at the Gulf Coast Community College in Panama City, Florida, Crowell Solutions will be present in Panama City Beach. Rick Schochler and Don Smith, Ph D., will be staying at the Holiday Inn Resort. Rick and Don are interested in meeting with other S1000D practitioners and discussing the issues and challenges of real-world S1000D implementations, such as:
- S1000D Business Rules
- S1000D Systems
- S1000D Training
- S1000D Best Practices
In addition, Rick and Don can discuss the industry leading application for developing and managing S1000D business rules, DecisionPoint™.
If you want to chat with two people who have been in the “S1000D trenches” shoot us an email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or call either Rick at 817-999-2258 or Don at 214-264-7136. You can also catch our twitter updates by following us @crowsol.
We look forward to seeing you in Florida!